Thursday, June 20, 2013

I Want A Japanese Cowboy

I’ve seen t-shirts that say (in Japanese) “Looking for a Japanese girlfriend.” I’ve also seen t-shirts that say (in English) “I love my Japanese boyfriend” or “I love my Japanese girlfriend” or another similar sentiment. Me? I don’t want a Japanese boyfriend. I want a Japanese cowboy!

A Japanese cowboy? Is there such a thing?

In the U.S., there are AJA (Americans of Japanese Ancestry) cowboys. One is Matt Shiozawa, who competes in rodeo. On his website (see links) he has Shiozawa written in kanji (塩沢). On the Big Island of Hawai’i, there are AJA paniolos (the Hawaiian word for cowboy). AJA Thomas Sakaguchi is a mule packer in Sequoia National Park.

Makoto Sekido wants to become a professional bull rider in the United States. His wife thinks he’s crazy.  She said she hates dreams and she hates people who want to make their dreams come true. But she puts up with it because she loves him. His sister thinks getting hit in the head by an ironing board when he was young caused him to choose an unorthodox road, especially for a Japanese man. He watched spaghetti westerns when he was young and always wanted to be a cowboy. I don’t know if he’s still pursuing that dream, but if he is, I hope it comes true for him.

Jin’ichiro Shibahara is another Japanese bull rider. He seems to be having more success than Makoto Sekido is. He was the first Japanese cowboy to become a member of the PRCA (Professional Rodeo Cowboy Association), in 2009. Here’s a link to photos from a rodeo in which he competed: http://assets.espn.go.com//rodeo/gallery/35113420.html He may no longer be a member of the PRCA, as he’s not listed in the Pro Rodeo website.

There are a number of riding stables in Japan that feature Western-style riding. The one that most intrigues me is Western Riding Club Rocky. (The second link goes to their website.) They have quite a bit of information about Western horseback riding and apparel (I especially appreciate that when talking about jeans, there’s a picture of the Wrangler logo. My favorite brand of jeans and the only brand I wear now!), as well as links to other sites, including the Japan Cowboy Shooting Network. I’ve never done Cowboy Mounted Shooting, but the demonstrations I’ve seen have been spellbinding.

Please be aware that the majority of the links in the links section are in Japanese. If you can’t read Japanese, there are free translation sites, although their accuracy can be questionable.  If you use Google Chrome, there’s a free app called rikaikun which will translate the individual kanji, but it doesn’t translate the page. If you use Firefox, the same app is called rikaichan.

For most Japanese, I’m sure their fascination with this aspect of life in the U.S. is strictly a hobby and something they may keep secret from all but those to whom they are closest. In a culture where conformity is valued above individuality, the cowboy culture may be something that is admired, but not understood.

My two biggest weaknesses when it comes to men are cowboys and Japanese men. So whether he’s a Japanese cowboy who lives in Japan or who has moved to the U.S. (or travels here periodically) to compete in rodeos or an AJA cowboy in the U.S., I want a Japanese cowboy!





Links
http://assets.espn.go.com//rodeo/gallery/35113420.html



No comments:

Post a Comment